Current Volunteer Needs
Before beginning as a volunteer at Literacy Advance, you'll need to register - if you haven't already done so, you can read the Volunteer FAQs, or request further information about joining our wonderful group of volunteers.
Our current needs (click on any title for details):
- Want to help graduates stay connected?
- Want to help out in the Wilcrest office?
- Want to give free books to kids?
Looking for expressions of interest
Our Alumni group, for graduated ESL students, has been quiet of late - and we want to change that. We're looking for volunteers interested in either leading or helping coordinate this group.
Structure is flexible; we're hoping that the group could meet once or twice a month. In previous years, the group has met either for conversation or for a fun activity, such as a free day at a Houston museum, or similar.
We hope that leaders and helpers will have been involved as volunteer tutors at Literacy Advance, so if that's you, and you think this sounds interesting, please call 713.266.8777 and ask for Diana, our Transition Coach, or email her: email@example.com.
Can you help at the Wilcrest front desk?
Can you help us out in the new year?
Light duties (answering phones, greeting people as they come in), friendly atmosphere, and training provided. Spanish speaker preferred, but not necessary.
NOTE: You don't need to be able to do the full time listed - please just tell us what part of the time you could do! We're very flexible!
Most pressing needs right now:
Tuesdays after 1pm
Wednesdays after 1pm
Thursdays after 1pm
If you can spend even a couple of hours a week with us, we’ll pour you a fresh cup of coffee! Please contact Maxine at 713.266.8777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer for a Family Literacy Event!
Our Family Literacy program is bustling, and we always need volunteers!
Help us with literacy activities for the students (pre-kindergarten through 5th grade), distribute free books to the children, or register the families as they arrive.
Volunteers are requested to arrive 30 minutes before the event start time (see below) to help set up and stay 30 minutes afterwards to help break down.
All volunteers will need to complete a Criminal Background Check before being involved (Literacy Advance will cover the costs for this).
- Thursday, August 31, 6pm - 8pm: Bay Area United Way Service Center (1300 A Bay Area Blvd, Houston, TX 77058)
- Thursday, September 21, 4pm to 6pm: House of Tiny Treasures (1529 Lombardy St., Houston, TX 77023)
- Wednesday, September 27, 5pm to 7pm: Albury Head Start (11125 Albury Dr., Houston, TX 77096)
- Thursday, October 5, 5pm to 7pm: Brookline Elementary School (6301 S Loop E Fwy, Houston, TX 77087)
- Thursday, November 16, 4pm to 6pm: House of Tiny Treasures (1529 Lombardy St., Houston, TX 77023)
If you're interested in volunteering for an event, please contact us for more information, or call 713.266.8777 and ask to speak to Khushboo.