Larry Dierker Celebrity Golf Tournament
Larry Dierker, retired Houston Astros pitcher, author of My Team and It Ain't Brain Surgery, and Literacy Advance Board member and volunteer tutor, hosts the annual Reader Cup golf tournament, benefiting Literacy Advance and its free programs for the Houston community.
"I play in dozens of tournaments every year that raise a lot of money for various organizations, many of which represent serious diseases. I am happy to do that. I'm not a doctor; I cannot cure a disease. At Literacy Advance I am personally part of the solution and I know we make a difference." ~ Larry Dierker
As the education level of adults improves, so does their children's success in school. Helping low-literate adults improve their basic skills has a direct and measurable impact on both the education and quality of life of their children.
The following sponsorship opportunities were available for the 2012 tournament:
- Reader Cup Underwriter
- Reader Cup Hall of Fame Underwriter
- Reader Cup Beverage Sponsor
- Reader Cup Hole in One Sponsor
- Reader Cup T Box Sponsor
- Reader Cup Sponsor
Thank you Larry for your unfailing support of literacy in Houston!
Click on the image above for details.
- 149 ABE students
- 1,300 ESL students
- 42,033 total learning hours
- 711 classes offered
- 5,226 hours of While You’re Waiting instruction
- 28,805 hours of in-kind service donated by tutors – valued at $627,661
- 22 active partner sites
- 11 Family Literacy events
- 1,653 Family Literacy attendees
- 1,837 free children’s books
- 99% of learners achieved or made progress toward a personal goal