Larry Dierker Celebrity Golf Tournament
Larry Dierker, retired Houston Astros pitcher, author of My Team and It Ain't Brain Surgery, and Literacy Advance Board member and volunteer tutor, hosts the annual Reader Cup golf tournament, benefiting Literacy Advance and its free programs for the Houston community.
"I play in dozens of tournaments every year that raise a lot of money for various organizations, many of which represent serious diseases. I am happy to do that. I'm not a doctor; I cannot cure a disease. At Literacy Advance I am personally part of the solution and I know we make a difference." ~ Larry Dierker
As the education level of adults improves, so does their children's success in school. Helping low-literate adults improve their basic skills has a direct and measurable impact on both the education and quality of life of their children.
The following sponsorship opportunities were available for the 2012 tournament:
- Reader Cup Underwriter
- Reader Cup Hall of Fame Underwriter
- Reader Cup Beverage Sponsor
- Reader Cup Hole in One Sponsor
- Reader Cup T Box Sponsor
- Reader Cup Sponsor
Thank you Larry for your unfailing support of literacy in Houston!
Click on the image above for details.
- 140 adult students learning to read and write (ABE)
- 1,500 adult students learning to speak and understand English (ESL)
- 52,800 total learning hours across all programs
- 23,000+ hours of service donated by volunteers
- 17 Family Literacy events at schools and community centers
- 1,900 Family Literacy attendees
- 3,000 children’s books distributed free to families and kids
- 99% of learners achieved or made progress toward a personal goal