About Literacy Advance
The mission of Literacy Advance of Houston is to transform lives and communities through the doorway of literacy.
Helping one adult improve their English literacy often has a ripple effect out through that adult's family, workplace and wider community. Adult learners who have taken Literacy Advance classes have gone on to pursue higher education, obtain better jobs, and earn U.S. citizenship.
Would you like to find out more in person? Story Time tours are held twice a month - in just one hour you can hear some incredible success stories and learn more about why we do what we do. More information here.
Literacy Advance programs are targeted to help adults seeking to improve their literacy, helping them overcome challenges in employment, healthcare access, education, housing, and transportation. Individual student goals are central to Literacy Advance programs and we encourage our volunteer tutors to consider these goals in their lesson planning. Resources and support are constantly available to assist tutors in this process.
Volunteers are the heart of Literacy Advance and we offer extensive Tutor Training and Enrichment programs to train and equip volunteer tutors and give them the resources they need to be effective tutors and have a successful volunteer experience. In addition to tutoring, volunteers are also instrumental in other areas, including advocacy, event organization, Family Literacy and more.
Literacy Advance of Houston is an accredited affiliate of ProLiteracy and a United Way agency.
Click on the image above for details.
- 140 adult students learning to read and write (ABE)
- 1,500 adult students learning to speak and understand English (ESL)
- 52,800 total learning hours across all programs
- 23,000+ hours of service donated by volunteers
- 17 Family Literacy events at schools and community centers
- 1,900 Family Literacy attendees
- 3,000 children’s books distributed free to families and kids
- 99% of learners achieved or made progress toward a personal goal